In this highly digitised and connected world, we are just a tap away from reaching out to anyone. Remote work is now also a viable reality – all you need is an internet connection to fulfill your office commitments. However, a constant barrage of notifications and flitting from screen to screen does take its toll on our health. We feel stressed, and burnt out and often feel the need to escape from it all and relax our minds, body, and soul. If you are searching for the ultimate place to rejuvenate and reconnect with yourself and your loved ones, Brij Lakshman Sagar is the one we would highly recommend.
About Brij Lakshman Sagar: The Concept Behind This Boutique Hotel
Brij Lakshman Sagar is one of the most luxurious boutique hotels of the Brij Hospitality chain. Located in Raipur, Rajasthan, it was originally built in the 19th century as a hunting lodge for the then-Thakur of Raipur, Lakshman Singh Ji. Many of the elements of the lodge have been kept intact to date, including the separate lounge sections for ladies and gentlemen (Zanana and Mardana), rocky terrain, the natural waterbody and stunning natural topography. The hotel is spread over 32 acres and has 12 independent cottages with private pools that are ideal for a weekend of relaxation with near and dear ones.
The entire property follows a ‘zero kilometer’ design, meaning that all the resources used there are locally sourced from the Pali village nearby. So, right from the milk you consume for breakfast to the architectural elements in the cottage, the local influence is quite evident and straightforward. This is not to say that Brij Lakshman has cut back on luxury in any way – you will find your cottage well-equipped with all the modern conveniences. However, the elements and rustic touches used in the property will instantly unite you with nature and refresh your senses.
The best thing about Brij Lakshman Sagar is the peace and tranquility you will experience. Time seems to go slower, even standing still. The staff introduced us to the concept of ‘slow living’ without distractions and making the most of every moment. Whether it is the breathtaking view or the joy of seeing peacocks at close quarters, it is truly a heavenly stay away from your moribund everyday life. It is the perfect destination to take a break from your mundane routine and relax your mind from the daily corporate hustle.
How To Get There – Accessibility
Brij Lakshman Sagar is quite easily accessible, especially from Delhi. It is situated between Jodhpur and Ajmer, near Raipur in the Mewar region of Rajasthan. It is a two-hour drive from Jodhpur airport or Ajmer railway junction. You can also take a train to Haripur Junction – the resort is just a 15-minute drive from there. Trains depart from Delhi to Haripur daily, and it is quite a convenient and hassle-free journey that you can take overnight from the capital city.
The Room And Facilities
The moment we reached Brij Lakshman Sagar; we were taken straight to our cottage without any check-in formalities. This is the express check-in facility of the property, wherein they give you ample opportunity to spend quality time with your loved ones sans any hindrances. The 900-square feet cottage was spacious and had yellow-coloured earthen walls with hints of grey slate in certain areas. There was an expansive living area that was ideal for lounging with family or friends. Ample natural light and a stunning view of the lake and the rugged landscape made the stay even more blissful. There was complete privacy in the plunge pool right outside our cottage, carved from rough granite found in the local mining sites. The cottage itself was beautifully decorated with traditional elements such as authentic weaves and textiles, wind chimes, lotas (pots), and brass vessels.
In terms of amenities and provisions, the efficient 32-member staff left no stone unturned. Native elements like neem dantoon, agarbatti, local snacks and Multani mitti face pack were kept in our room; along with luxurious conveniences such as a coffee machine, minibar-cum-wine chiller, air conditioner and a beautiful bathroom equipped with excellent fixtures and fittings. Brij Lakshman also provided in-house syrups and snacks for munching in between meals.
Authentic Local Food Cooked To Perfection
In terms of food and dining, the property has made it a point to serve up Rajasthani food that is made with locally-sourced ingredients. The zero kilometre philosophy has been extended to the food in terms of not just sustainable procurement of produce, but also the recipes and cooking techniques.
- Traditional Rajasthani meals like Dal Bati Churma and Bajre ki Khichdi were thoroughly enjoyable. The Lal maas too was spicy and well-cooked. We also savoured a lot of other authentic Rajasthani dishes like Bajre ki roti, Bajre ka Raab, gatte ki sabzi, kadhi, pataud ki sabzi, palak mangaudi and more. Each dish was meticulously prepared without too much oil and generous spices.
- Fresh juices, fruits and vegetables were included in practically every meal. These helped detox our body and gave us a break from eating heavy meals as is the norm at home. We tried watermelon juice with mint, tomato juice, aloe vera juice and even bitter neem juice!
- Some truly unique preparations at Brij Lakshman Sagar truly stole the show. One of the highlights of our meal was the Imli baingan, made with tangy tamarind that made us drool. We also enjoyed a beautiful salad with all kinds of dips and dressings paired with it.
- A wholesome barbecue dinner was also presented to us during our stay. Dishes like veg seekh kebab, paneer tikka, chicken malai tikka and more were some of the Tandoori preparations that the chef presented to us with equal gusto as the local Rajasthani fare.
Activities And Things-To-Do
Brij Lakshman Sagar offers guests all the flexibility to pick and choose their activities and plan their schedules as per their preferences. You can choose to savour some authentic experiences, or else, just take it easy and sit back and relax. While some activities are complimentary, others are on a chargeable basis. Some of the interesting activities we tried were:
1. Breakfast with a private chef in the fields surrounded with fresh vegetables in the property’s kitchen garden
2. Kayaking in the lake with an in-house guide and all safety precautions
3. Learning how to grind spices and mix them with the traditional chakki setup and expert chef
4. A nature walk with a knowledgeable guide wherein several bird and tree plantations were spotted along with local flora and fauna
5. Picnic and delicious high tea at sunset at the top of Aravalli hills with a stunning view
6. Making bajre ki roti on a village farm and enjoying it with white butter
7. Local jungle safari with sightings of wild boar, nilgai, seven sister birds, parrots, leopard carcasses
8. Learning to sculpt with clay in a private pottery workshop
You can even enjoy the pool carved out of granite with a beautiful backdrop of the rugged topography. There is also a spa with a natural backdrop that provides the ideal environment for relaxation.
At night, the clear skies provide the ideal setup for some stargazing and night-watching from the comfort of your cottage. Picturesque elements such as lanterns, lounge chairs and swings make for beautiful clicks. The best thing about Brij Lakshman Sagar is its stunning natural beauty. There are peacocks at every stretch you cover in this property! Trust us, you will not get bored at all and savour every moment here. Do remember to carry good walking shoes since the property is quite widespread and requires a lot of trekking to go from one place to another.
So, if you want to detoxify your senses, unravel your thoughts and calm your mind, Brij Lakshman Sagar is the place to be. You will return to the traditional way of living while enjoying all the modern conveniences. It’s definitely going to be the subject of your future conversations, and you will have all your friends envy!